1. I’ve got 99 problems but culinary cultural appropriation ain’t one. Do I get mad if people ruin a lovely Carbonara by adding cream, or olives, or parsley or anything they fancy? Yeah, I do, but do I shout at them they’re being direspectful of my culture? No because they’re not being disrespectful, they’re being stupid by ruining something that was perfect to begin with. But it’s not skin off my nose; after all it’s not me who has to eat that garbage. I knew this was going to happen. I knew sooner or later somebody was going to start complaining that profiting by cooking food from other cultures ‘disrespectfully’ was cultural appropriation. Whatever that means. To be fair, I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. As far as I’m concerned, you can knock yourself out and cook Italian food badly to your heart’s content. People have way too much time on their hands. Moving on.
2. Rare beef steak open sandwick with caramelised onions and stilton at the Larrik tonight. Heaven! Whose culture did they appropriate by cooking that? Anyone? It was bookgroup night and we discussed Gulliver’s Travels. Not big fans of the flowery, turgid prose but considering it was written in the 1700s it was rather impressive. It was before novels, before sci-fi, before anything. And it’s rather modern in language. The guy was obsessed with bodily functions, let me tell you.
3. I was late for a doctor appointment but they were late as well so that’s great. And they requested the tests I need to do, no questions asked, to check hormonal levels to ensure everything is how it should be.
4. Short hair in this heat. It takes me 45 seconds to haidry it, I checked.
5. When I’m tired and suddenly I realise that I haven’t make-up to take off. Yes!! I hate having to take make-up off. So much! So much that I don’t put it on if I can possibly get away with it. If I go out out and I know it’s going to be a late one, I’ll put de-make-up wipes in my handbag so I can take it off in the taxi on the way home. Genius!